Paradise Unified School District Counseling Program
Mission StatementTop of Page
The mission of the Paradise Unified School counseling program is to provide comprehensive counseling services that address the academic, career, and personal/social development of all students. School counselors will facilitate a support system so that all students have access to the knowledge and resources that will prepare them to become skilled, responsible and productive citizens. It is our vision that students will be able to effectively manage future challenges, develop and reach their post-secondary goals, and progress confidently into an ever-changing society.
Philosophy and Belief StatementTop of Page
The school counselors serving Paradise Unified School District believe every student:
- Can learn and should be given the opportunity to do so.
- Has dignity and worth and has a right to a safe, mutually respectful, healthy and orderly learning environment.
- Has the right to participate in a comprehensive school counseling program.
The PUSD School Counselors also believe:Top of Page
- Learning involves the education of the whole person and is a continuous, lifelong process.
- Learning requires the active participation, mutual respect, and individual accountability of students, teachers, staff, parents and community members.
- Diversity is to be respected and appreciated as we foster unity among our students, faculty, staff and community.
The PUSD Counseling Program Shall:Top of Page
- Be student-centered, engage all students in classroom, group and/or individual activities to enhance student learning
- Be based on specified goals and developmental competencies for all students.
- Focus on primary prevention, intervention and student-developmental needs relating to all areas of school counseling including academics, careers, and social/emotional well-being.
- Be planned and coordinated by certificated school counselors in consultation with other representatives of the school and community.
- Use data to drive the program development and evaluation, and actively monitor student results based on student strengths and needs.
PUSD Counselors Shall:Top of Page
- Abide by the professional school counseling ethics as advocated by the American School Counselor Association.
- Shall participate in professional development essential to maintain a quality school counseling program.